Air conditioning for the apartment can provide true cooling and relaxation. Especially in the hot seasons, such an air conditioner is worthwhile.
It is important to think about it before buying and making comparisons. This is the only way to find the right air conditioner for your home.
Now you are safely looking for air conditioning for the apartment. This means that you own either a rental apartment or a condominium. And that, in turn, means that you can’t just change the way you build the apartment.
Mobile air conditioning or split air conditioning?
There are two types of air conditioning. Some are mobile; the others are permanently installed and consist of several parts.
Do you live in a rental apartment?
Then it is recommended that you make friends with a mobile air conditioner (also called monoblock). This has the advantage that it does not require any installation and is immediately ready for use via a power outlet. Unfortunately, it also has the disadvantage of increased power consumption, the higher volume. Optimally, install an exhaust hose.
You could, of course, buy a split air conditioning system, but then you would have to ask your landlord for the installation because a split air conditioner consists of two parts connected with thin pipes. The indoor unit must be permanently installed in the room, and the compressor must be mounted on the outer wall of the building.
In addition, you have to install the exterior and interior of the split air conditioning system yourself or commission a company to do so. However, an air opening is not necessary, and the split devices are energy-efficient and cost-effective in the long run.
Split air conditioners are quiet inside, cooler and have lower operating costs. But the outdoor appliances are louder and could bother your neighbours in a rental apartment.
Difference mobile air conditioning and split air conditioner for the apartment
We have been dealing with the topic “What is better? Mobile air conditioning or split device?” and compared both types of air conditioners. Take a look at the article “The Comparison: Mobile Air Conditioning or Split Device?“.
Bottom line: You probably need a mobile air conditioner because 99.9% of the landlords will not allow a structural change.
Do you live in a condominium?
If you don’t want to spend a lot of money, you’ll buy a monoblock device. You have connected this quickly, and you do not need any permits. However, it is difficult to cool the entire apartment with mobile air conditioning. For this, you need a split device or a multi-split air conditioner.
However, whether you can install a split air conditioning system in your condominium is decided by your neighbours and the owner community.
In principle, you may make structural changes to your condominium as long as they only affect your apartment. However, as soon as the installation concerns the substance of the common property, you must consult with the owner community.
The most important points at a glance:
- An outdoor device on your condominium affects the substance of the common property
- Disturbing noise from the outdoor device affects neighbours, and they have a say
- To air-condition multiple rooms, use multi-split air conditioners (one outdoor unit, multiple indoor units, from approx. 1000 €)
If you would like to learn more about split air conditioners, read:
What is a split air conditioning system?
How does air conditioning work for the apartment?
Both air conditioners differ in design, but not in the provision of cool air.
The air conditioning cooling system removes heat from the air using a coolant. The warm room air is fed into the device by a fan and passed by the so-called evaporator at this refrigeration circuit.
The coolant evaporates and absorbs the heat of the sucked-in air. Cooled air is generated, which is blown back into the room.
How mobile air conditioning works
If you want to know more about how it works, read our Knowledge Guide on how it works.
Air conditioning in the apartment: what to pay attention to?
You now know what kind of air conditioner you need for the apartment: mobile air conditioning. You also know how air conditioning works. Now it is important to find out what is important to you about an air conditioner and what your preferences and needs are.
To narrow down the selection for air conditioning in the apartment, first, use our online calculator to calculate the cooling requirements. Then you will immediately know which cooling capacity is available for you. This is the first step you need to take so you know what device you need!
Calculate your cooling requirements in watts and BTU
How much watts and BTU do you need for your apartment, your rooms or your house? Our cooling requirements calculator helps, which makes a recommendation for the watt number to be searched as well as the BTU.
Calculating cooling requirements
Now you have a result, for example, you need a mobile air conditioning for your apartment with approximately:
- 3000 watts
- 10500 BTU
Then ask yourself the following questions:
- Price: How much am I willing to spend? Most good branded devices start from 250 euros.
- Read more about the costs here and separate yourself from the devices that are too expensive.
- Volume: Do I need quiet air conditioning?
- Need air conditioning that is quiet? Then you will find quiet air conditioners here.
- Electricity: Do I need air conditioning that uses little electricity?
- Read more about electricity consumption here and calculate the costs directly. So there are no nasty surprises at the end of the year. The best are air conditioners that have energy efficiency class A and above.
- Exhaust air hose: Can I put an exhaust hose through my window to transport the warm air from the room to the outside? If so, that would be great, because that’s how you increase the cooling performance greatly.
- You can also read the guide article “Exhaust hose of a mobile air conditioning system“.
And the choice of devices is already limited, and you can choose the best in peace.
What do you pay attention to when operating air conditioners?
Our experience has shown that you can increase the cooling performance and service life of the air conditioners by following the following advice:
- The temperature difference between outside and internal temperature must not be set too high.
- Bad would be: Outside, it is 35 degrees, and in the apartment, you want 20 degrees. Few devices can do this, and if they do, only with high electricity costs. In addition, you may get sick by the too dry air.
- Better: Set the temperature difference at a maximum of 6 to 8 degrees. Even at 35 degrees outside temperature, 25 degrees in your apartment is a real cooling down. Do not set the air conditioner below 22 degrees.
- Cleaning and disinfecting you use the air conditioning regularly (1x a year . B) because this increases the cooling capacity, and your apartment becomes cooler.
- Reduce sunlight: Install shutters, awnings or dark curtains to reduce the heat from sunlight.
- Reduce heat supply: Keep doors and windows closed. Use a proper seal for your exhaust hose so that no warm air flows in.
- Reduce heat sources: Turn off unnecessary devices, such as computers and TVs. Dry the laundry in the apartment instead of turn on the dryer.
Air cooler as an alternative for the apartment
Keep in mind that mobile air conditioning without an exhaust air hose is only an energy destroyer. So you have to use it when you opt for mobile air conditioning in the apartment.
Now it may be that you do not want an exhaust hose in your apartment. There is an alternative for this: the air coolers – air conditioners without exhaust air hose.
Important: Air coolers are not air conditioners that manage to lower the room temperature. Air coolers are better fans.
We have dealt extensively with the topic of “air conditioner without exhaust air hose” and have shown all the information that is important to you in order to make a purchase decision. Be sure to read the article if you do not want or cannot use an exhaust hose.
Below are the three best air coolers.
Questions and answers
Are split air conditioners also suitable for the apartment?
Definitely, however, you must keep in mind that you need to have an indoor and outdoor unit installed by a specialist. The air conditioner is not mobile either. For this, split air conditioners are more efficient, which means they cool better with lower electricity costs.
Is the exhaust air hose absolutely necessary?
Yes, because without transporting the exhaust air from the apartment, the heat remains in the apartment, and a lowering of the internal temperature does not take place.
Are air coolers as good as mobile air conditioners?
No, because air coolers are evaporation systems. An air cooler is basically a better fan with water evaporation. Proper mobile air conditioners cool with compressor technology and coolant. This is the only way to really lower the room temperature.
What are inverter air conditioners?
These are air conditioners where the rotation speed of the compressor varies. The compressor can vary the cooling capacity depending on the setting. Inverter air conditioning systems, therefore, consume 30% to 60% less energy than non-inverter systems (ON/OFF devices). Air conditioners without inverter technology are either on or off. This means that they run at full load or not at all.
You now know that it is easy to cool your apartment. Presumably, a mobile air conditioning system, i.e. a monoblock device, is the right device for you.
As a result, you have almost no installation effort, and you can move it through the room as you like, and it is immediately ready for use by means of a power outlet.
However, worry about the items listed individually above, such as exhaust hose, energy efficiency, price and volume. This allows you to narrow down the selection and surely find the right device exactly for your needs and requirements.