It would seem, what can be problematic in the design of kitchen scales? But, as practice shows, completely different questions arise in front of store shelves! This is due to the vast range of modern models that differ in technical characteristics, shape, design features, the principle of operation and functionality. We will try to tell you how to choose a kitchen scale, considering the advantages and disadvantages of different types of equipment. We will also take advantage of advice from experts, including dealers and repairers.
The maximum load of the best kitchen scales varies in the range from 2 to 5 kilograms. The total error, in this case, should be no more than 10 grams. But it is better when the value is 0.1 g – such models are used even by jewellers.
Types of Kitchen Scales
Of course, at present, electronic models are in the most significant demand. Nevertheless, it does not always make sense to overpay for high accuracy if the device is planned to be used to weigh the summer harvest, fishing catch, etc. Therefore, we will consider different types of kitchen scales, and you will already decide on what you need:
- Hand scales – are mechanical and electronic. In the second case, they are equipped with a liquid crystal display and work on batteries. Benny is more often used for weighing the harvest by workers in the market, although it is not difficult for them to find application in everyday life. The most powerful models are designed for loads, up to 50 kg. Kitchen analogues up to 10 kg. Can show measurements in kilograms, pounds and ounces;
- Mechanical – inexpensive models, the error of which, as a rule, ranges from 25 to 100 grams. Such devices are less capricious to operating conditions, do not need to use batteries, support a load of up to 10 kg. However, mechanical kitchen scales are chosen for rough weighing. In fine cooking and calorie counting, they are useless;
- Electronic scales are the most common type of device that allows to weigh products accurately and and calculate the content of proteins and and carbohydrate fats.
For obvious reasons, we will consider the criteria for choosing the last type of device.
Electronic devices can work from the mains, battery or batteries: little finger, finger, battery tablets. The longest are lithium batteries, the service life of which is up to 10 years. In rare cases, there are models on the market that work on alkaline sources, with a capacity of up to 9 watts.
Control, in turn, can be touch or button. The second option is cheaper, but not as convenient as we would like. At the same time, models with a touch panel do not accumulate dirt, look more aesthetically pleasing.
If you do not know how to choose a good kitchen scale, you can pay attention to models with a built-in screen that displays gram readings. The size of the display can vary in the range from 30 to 79 mm. It should be moved into the case, which will avoid damage.
Construction and materials
There are models with a bowl and a flat platform. In the first case, the calibration function is implemented immediately; that is, the mass of the capacity is not taken into account. As for the flat base, material can be made of steel, Glass, wood, and plastic. Some models are combined; that is, several types of materials are implemented at once. Naturally, the most reliable platform is steel. Plastic is not practical and not durable. Glass is subject to mechanical damage, but it does not absorb odours and is not afraid of acids. In general, here, it is necessary to start from financial capabilities.
Tips for choosing a kitchen scale
As for additional functions, their diversity is growing every day. We will try to consider the most basic and valuable options so that you can choose the suitable kitchen scales taking into account your needs:
calibration – allows you to get a net weight of products without taking into account the capacity;
- automatic shutdown;
- built-in memory – will enable you to summarize the nutritional value of products;
- bowl mass reset;
- selection of the unit of measurement.
Please note that additional options have a significant impact on the final cost of the product.
What to watch out for?
Finally, we want to draw your attention to several valuable recommendations for choosing kitchen scales for the home:
- If you decide to buy a model with mechanical control, it is better to consider options with rubber buttons, as they last longer;
- Regardless of the type of device, it is essential that there are rubberized legs that prevent sliding on the table;
- It is very convenient if the scales are equipped with a heat-resistant base so that they can also be used as a stand for hot dishes;
- Do not install scales near the microwave, as a powerful electromagnetic field can harm the accuracy of their measurements;
- Do not wash the scales underwater, it is better to wipe with a cloth.
We hope this is enough, and you will be able to choose the best model for your needs. Good luck!