Did you know that you could gain an amazing amount of protein with the help of whey? Another benefit of including whey protein in your diet is proven effective in treating type 2 diabetes.
What if we told you that you could make whey protein at home? Here are some of the sources of protein that you can find easily and how to turn them into whet at home.
What are the sources of whey protein?
There are various sources of whey protein. The most effective ones are-
Yogurt is the most recommended source of whey protein amongst all the other available sources. Yogurt can help you improve your gut health as it is full of potassium, calcium, and more.
If you want to take full advantage of yogurt protein, make sure that you go for one not strained.
Milk from cows:
As recorded in a study, there is a lot of protein available in cow’s milk. The presence of whey in it calculates about 20% of the total amount. When you consume cow’s milk as a post-workout drink, it inhibits the similar effects as whey protein.
A study was conducted in 2015, which stated that if middle-aged men, following a workout, consumed 20 g of whey protein and milk protein, it activated protein synthesis in the muscles.
Peas are extremely protein-rich among the other plant-based communities due to muscle-building compounds like glutamine and branched-chain amino acids.
Pea protein is exclusive because it does not inhibit the uptake of other nutrients during the digestive process.
|Source of protein||Protein content|
|Yogurt||10 grams per 100 grams yogurt|
|Cow’s milk||3.4 grams per 100 grams milk|
|Peas||5 grams in 100 grams peas|
How to make way protein at home using the protein sources mentioned above?
The recipes to make whey protein from the above-mentioned sources are-
- Get yourself an empty bowl and cover it with a sieve on top.
- After completing the previously mentioned step, cover your sieve with a cheese or muslin cloth.
- Pour your yogurt on the muslin cloth and use plastic wrap to cover it.
- Refrigerate your yogurt bowl overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
- After refrigeration, you will see that the yellow liquid is strained in the bowl, and the hung curd is left on the Muslim cloth. The liquid in the bowl is your whey protein.
B) Milk from cows:
- Take a big vessel, add milk, and allow it to boil. The milk should be heating gradually and not immediately, so keep checking the temperature. 180° Fahrenheit should be the exact temperature the milk should be heated.
You will notice a slight simmering after some time. Please keep checking the temperature and note that it does not exceed it.
- After reaching your desired temperature, five tablespoons of lemon juice should be added to the milk. Allow the milk to come to the desired temperature again that is 180° Fahrenheit.
- After your milk has boiled, allow it to rest. While the milk is still hot, give it 20 to 30 minutes to set aside. Keep the vessel lid covered.
- With the help of a filter, empty the milk from the vessel. You will notice that the consistency of milk has changed. After sieving the milk, your whey liquid will be separated from the cheese. Make sure that you collect all the way that you can get.
- Use the food dehydrator to dehydrate the liquid. The optimum setting of the dehydrator should be 135° Fahrenheit and should be kept like that for 12 hours.
- You don’t have to worry about the dehydrator; the alternative is to let the drained whet simmer at medium heat for some time. After you see the change in consistency from runny to thick, you can transfer it into a tray and let it sit for about 12 hours.
- With the help of a blender, you can blend your whey. You can also add additional flavors, such as vanilla powder or cocoa powder. And if you notice even slight moisture in your whey, allow it to dry out first.
- Blend your peas using a food processor or a blender. Set your blender or food processor at high speed. Before blending your piece, make sure that your processor is dry. Since you need flour instead of a paste, any moisture can ruin that consistency. Give it three minutes to turn into the flower completely.
- To separate your peas and pea powder, use a sieve. Keep a bowl below your sieve and gather all the powder in it. Whatever processed peas are left on the top of the sieve, blend it and sift it again.
- If you still have the remaining larger chunks of peas in your sieve, use them with some other recipe so that they don’t go to waste.
- Whatever protein powder you have collected, make sure that you store it in an airtight container and use it within a week. You can also freeze the pea protein powder.
Follow the recipes mentioned above exactly to get the desired results.
The bottom line-
Whey protein is very effective for body builidng or bringing lean bodies back to life. You can effectively use these recipes and make your whey protein at home.
If you have any more recipes to add or have a favorite recipe from the ones mentioned above, let us know in the comment section below.