Let’s start our guide to choosing a vacuum cleaner with a small request. As you read this text, analyze your style of cleaning. How do you usually vacuum: enjoy the processor; on the contrary, strive to end it as quickly as possible? Do you clean up a little bit every day or do a lot of cleaning once a week? Do you have the patience, time and time to dry the components after each cleaning if you are talking about washing vacuum cleaner? The analysis of your habits will help you choose the perfect vacuum cleaner from many types and models. After all, each of them – its own subtleties.
What are vacuum cleaners?
Standard. They consist of a hull on wheels with a dust collector, and a motor inside, a suction hose with a pipe is attached to the body. The net powers them. Differ in size, power, dust collector type, quality of filters, etc.
Vertical Small vacuum cleaners, which have a body and a pipe, in fact, make up one whole. They can run from the network or from the battery. They take up very little space, but the suction capacity is generally lower, as is the dust collector’s volume. In addition, they can not remove the shadow from the ceiling, as they can not be turned over—ideal for small apartments where there are no carpets and pets.
The hand. Low-power compact vacuum cleaners that run from the battery. It is not suitable for a full cleaning, but it will be useful if you need to clean the car’s interior or quickly remove the scattered sand, land, and other pollution.
Robot vacuum cleaners. Pretty expensive “toys” that perfectly maintain cleanliness in the house, removing dust and small pollution in the area available to them and some models are also able to carry out wet cleaning. They are battery-powered and require recharging. Not suitable for large apartments or houses where there are carpets.
Hybrids. These are models consisting of a vertical and hand-held vacuum cleaner and vertical vacuum cleaners, which have a motor and a dust collector at the top, near the handle because when the pipe is detached, they turn into manual. Good for easy daily cleaning. A network or battery powers them.
We’re going to have to identify the type of dust collector
So, let’s start with the standard vacuum cleaners familiar to us design – they are sometimes called horizontal or cylinder. They are divided into several species depending on the type of dust collector.
Disposable bags – it is hygienic and convenient: after 5-6 cleanings, you just gently pull it out and throw it away. The only negative is the need to buy new bags, which entails additional spending.
Some vacuum cleaner models also include a reusable dust-and-tear bag. In fact, this is nothing more than a ploy of manufacturers: such bags are only for the Russian market, as our customers believe that it is very economical. In fact, the reusable bag is not very pleasant to empty (the dust, which you shake, immediately rises into the air), and over time it just turns around dirt.
- The vacuum cleaner does not need to be cleaned after each cleaning – just throw or shake out the bag about once a month.
- In almost any home appliance store, you will find disposable bags that will exactly fit your vacuum cleaner model. In addition, there are universal types of bags on sale.
- As the dust collector fills up, the vacuum cleaner’s suction capacity becomes noticeably lower.
- The stronger the bag is filled, the louder the vacuum cleaner works, as the engine has to “strain” to adhere to normal suction power.
- Cyclone filter
In this case, a dust collector’s role is played by a plastic filter container, in which a real air vortex is created while the vacuum cleaner is working. Debris and dust get into it and, under the influence of centrifugal force, settle on the walls of the container. A filter system delays smaller particles. After cleaning, the container should be shaken and washed.
INTERVIEWER: Only this type of dust collector is used in compact vertical vacuum cleaners.
- Cyclone vacuum cleaners provide longer initial suction power than vacuum cleaners with a bag, as dust, settling on the walls of the container, does not prevent the passage of air.
- There are models in which you can use both a cyclone filter and a dust bag.
- If a metal or glass object (such as a coin) enters the container, it will not necessarily settle on the bottom of the container and may knock on the walls of the flask until the end of the cleaning.
- Cyclone vacuum cleaners are more expensive than vacuum cleaners with bags.
In such a vacuum cleaner, the air passes through a water tank, where dust settles. A pleasant side effect – during cleaning from the vacuum cleaner comes clean and moisturized air.
- Suitable for allergy sufferers and families with young children.
- The degree of water pollution in the aqua filter does not affect the suction power, unlike models with bags and cyclone filter.
- Before cleaning in the filter, you need to pour water and then – pour, rinse the tank, and dry all the vacuum cleaner components. Otherwise, it will smell mold. It takes time.
- The vacuum cleaner with an aqua filter can not be tipped so as not to splash water, so it will have to be very careful.
- Such vacuum cleaners are generally more expensive than cyclone and with bags, and they weigh more and less maneuverable.
- On average, the power of such vacuum cleaners is lower than that of cyclone and models with bags.
What about detergent vacuum cleaners?
This is a separate category of devices that can work in two modes – dry and wet cleaning. In the second case, the vacuum cleaner first sprays water and then sucks it along with dust and other contaminants. In addition, it can be used to clean soft furniture, wash windows. To make cleaning more efficient, you can add a cleaning agent to a water tank for a particular surface.
INTERVIEWER: A dry cleaning vacuum cleaner can also be of three types: a bag, a cyclone container or a water tank.
- Great for a long-term full cleaning of the whole apartment, saving you from having to wash the floor with a mop.
- Extra hydration of indoor air.
- Many models can not be used on the floor and laminate so that the flooring is not swelled.
- After cleaning, you will need to thoroughly wash the dust container and aqua filter, dry all the components, including the suction pipe.
- Such vacuum cleaners are more expensive than conventional ones.
What to look for when choosing
In most cases, the vacuum cleaners are equipped with three levels of filtration. It is directly a dust collector (bag, container, water tank), pre-engine filter and thin-cleaning filter at the exit.
- Pay attention to their quality, find out how often they need to be changed (and whether you need them), whether it is difficult to find spare filters on sale, etc.
- Choose models with the ability to replace the pre-engine filter so that the technique lasts longer.
- Thin-cleaning filters are usually NERA filters, which are assigned serial numbers depending on their effectiveness. Choose vacuum cleaners with H12 filters and above (up to HEPA H16, which hold up to 99.99995% dust in the vacuum cleaner).
- The more carpets, soft furniture and other fabric coatings in your house, the higher the power should be – from 350 W, especially if there are animals in the apartment. For an apartment without carpets, enough power in 150 w.
- Battery-powered vacuum cleaners are usually very low-power, as are vacuum cleaners.
- Do not confuse the power and suction power of the vacuum cleaner. The first is higher, and it is what some manufacturers try to point out so that you notice it for sure.
- Manufacturers offer a lot of additional nozzles: for parquet, for slits, for cleaning soft furniture, clothing, round nozzle, turbojet, etc. Most often, a classic brush, carpet brushes and turbo brush are enough for standard cleaning.
- The turbo brush is useful for those who have pets, as well as collects wool. It rotates either due to the movement of air during absorption or independently – then the brush connects to the vacuum cleaner with a separate wire.
- The window-washing nozzle at the detergent will not save the glass from dried dirt but is quite able to remove dust and small pollution.
- This option is important for models with a battery, i.e. vertical and hand vacuum cleaners, as well as hybrids and robot vacuum cleaners. The spread here is from 20 minutes to several hours, so be sure to take into account this characteristic, as well as – the time of recharging, which can also be very long.
THE LENGTH OF THE CORD
- Pay attention to this if you have a large apartment, and you do not want to constantly switch from one outlet to another during the cleaning process.